Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Food For Thought: I'm Thinking About Recipes Blog

 Why I never thought about it.

ThroughDDayBlogger
Banana Cake

Lately ... like always, I've been looking for recipe to make. To be exact .. the recipe that suit my pantry , which mean the ingredients can be obtain in my town (not a big city) or at least can be substitute.

While looking for recipe on Youtube , I also search it on the web and it led me to blogs. One in particular is a blog that re-post or upload recipes from other content creator/ instagramer. Recipes and the pictures.

And I though ... "Ow, how nice, a collection of recipe from Instagram" and it makes me wonder , can I make one, should I make one?

I understand I still can't manage this blog nicely, writing and creating post are really tough job 😅, but if I only re-post other creator recipe with a bit of writing of my style (do I have one 😆) ... surely it could be -not easy- but somewhat manageable. Aside from re-posting, my aim was to "writing down" a recipe that I  like to try or already try and I like it, thus I need to "note it down" 

For example these pictures, these arecakes that I made from recipes that I found on newspaper ... and I lost that recipes. These cake are the earliest cake that I succeeded to make and it's a good cake. If I made these now, I would note this recipe on my notebook, but at the time it just a tryout. Point is I want to preserve the recipe that I found good and suit me... yeah I can put it in  my notebook and I will, but what if I lost it... yeah, I can screenshot it and put it on my PC or cloud saving, but what if my PC broken and my cloud storage is full.

ThroughDDayBlogger
Banana Cake Whole Pan

To share it, is to preserve it. If it's on the blog ... I  know where the recipe from, I can access it and share it at same time... at least that's my thought.

Now I'm into make a recipes collection blog , but I understand there are ethics to share someone else creation. So I did some research on how to share other people recipe.

Articles I stumble upon is Indonesian article  and more focus about creation or art, so I look more  and I found The Gracious Pantry blog post about How To Share A Recipe Properly >>> Link   and then Tiffany Mccauley ( How To Share Another Blogger’s Recipes Correctly) >>> Link and more (just type "how to share other people recipe")


ThroughDDayBlogger
Banana Muffin

From those article I found out or at least to my understanding:

  1. List of ingredients are not protected by copyright law. You can copy it exactly and credit the original/creator you re-post it from, or you can  "adapt" by change the measure or ingredients and ... you of the hook. Which I think this is the most common happen with youtuber, food blogger... like, no offense ...but I'm sure not all of them go to culinary or baking (?!) or patisserie school and even if they are I'm sure they are also inspired by other food/recipe/thing. Creating ORIGINAL food this day and age is ... not easy . 
  2. Direction or how to make the recipe ... to my understanding also not protected by copyright,but it mention "recipes cannot be copyright protected unless accompanied by 'substantial literary expression" meaning if the author/blogger provide a story-like /background story to its recipe then it could be copyright protected, usually this was in the beginning, before recipe and direction part  or in the direction part... like what I did when I share a recipe.
    That 'substantial literary expression'
    or story ( to my understanding) is your trace that makes that recipe your own.... BUT still...it would be wise if using somebody else recipe... provide the link back to the author or write it in your own word , do not copy paste it exactly. We can be lazy.. but please keep ethical.😎
  3. Picture or book ... this are copyright protected, I don't know how people think they can plagiarize a book and not gettin caught, but anything possible thus the law exists. Picture or art , these need  permission from the owner/creator to share.

My conclusion ... I can share any recipe I found from the net , tweak it if I must and then write the direction to my "substantial literary" it would be fine. BUT, I need pictures, what kind of food blog or any blog doesn't have a picture ... and pictures are copyright protected. So I need permission..YES... because of picture... I need to ask for permission  other than then I can just credit/mention them , so asking permission I did.

ThroughDDayBlogger
Sausage Muffin

I was looking for potential recipe contributor on Instagram, while looking at it, I see many of them got sponsor or endorsement (?!) from baking ingredients brand or utensil brand, and some of them mention credit ,adapt ,inspired and re-cook/re-bake from other people and some even got same recipe... so I am confuse 😅. Nevertheless, I proceed and message those potential contributor... some happily give me permission ... some didn't give permission and many not responding.

So for those give me  the permission, I can use the recipes, direction and pics, of course I will give them credit and link. For those who don't ... I actually can use the recipe or direction and give the the credit, but can't use the pic, but to avoid misunderstanding and troublesome in the future I decide I won't use any of their recipe thus I won't be needed to credit them whatsoever.

Then what ... initially I want to create Indonesian language blog , but write it in English for outside Indonesia reader also good, I also need to learn how to use a recipe generator.. if not I can just wrote it tho anyway those and more stuff need more thinking.

While re-search and asking for permission I actually thought  I can tweak a recipe thus make my own adaptation, make them and take a picture then post it ... but then I also remember, the reason I want to re-post someone else recipe because I want to save a recipe that inspire me .... if I need to make it my own.. my work load would be heavier ( remember I still need to pay my late post) not to mention, I need property for that (plate, glass, flower or packaging), yet... it's a nice Idea... let just pin that.

So I will cook this plan for better result. And with permission I got in hand, I will use it soon.

That's my thought/report/ post of the day... till next post. Have a nice day.

*Please do mention or comment if I get something incorrect or if there are anything else I need to know before I became a food blogger 😆

No comments :

Post a Comment